(702) 998–9344

What happens if a spouse refuses to pay child support?


As some Nevada parents may already know, there are noncustodial parents in the state who renege on their court-ordered duty to pay child support. However, custodial parents can use the state's legal system to retrieve the child support that is due to them.

The Clark County District Attorney's Office is responsible for enforcing child support orders in Las Vegas. There are various ways that the DA can help enforce child support, but they all require the custodial parent to provide the home address or employment information of the noncustodial parent.

If the noncustodial parent is employed yet still defaults on making child support payments, the DA can obtain a court order to withhold child support from the noncustodial parent's salary. If, on the other hand, the noncustodial parent does not have a job, the court may order that parent to obtain employment and may also subtract child support payments from that parent's tax refunds, both federal and state. Moreover, in some cases, the court might withhold child support payments from the noncustodial parent's unemployment checks, workers' compensation benefits, government checks or retirement benefits.

In the event that the noncustodial parent owns property, the DA can put a lien against the property. Further sanctions may include but are not limited to a driver's license suspension and the temporary nullification of occupational licenses and permits.

These consequences are not the only risk taken by noncustodial parents who do not live up to their financial obligations pertaining to child support. In addition, they may hamper or even imperil the child's well-being. Custodial parents manifestly have legal recourse and remedies, and it is important for them to seek the counsel of a family law attorney, who may provide them with information germane to their specific case, which is not the objective of this generally educational blog.

Source: Clark County Nevada Gov, "Can the Court order the noncustodial parent to pay child support?", October 22, 2014

Contact Standish Naimi Law Group

How would you like to be contacted?
Type of Issue:

Contact Form Disclaimer

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Standish Naimi Law Group Standish Naimi Law Group Standish Naimi Law Group logo Facing a family law issue is never easy, especially when your matter involves a dispute over child custody and/or your financial future. For family law matters such as yours, it is important to work with a law firm that is known for its superior representation, exceptional client service and the ability to untangle the most complicated legal issues. For many years, families throughout Summerlin, Las Vegas, Henderson and Southern Nevada have trusted attorneys Thomas Standish and Jason Naimi to
 (702) 802–0492